Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Canned Salsa

I have vivid memories of my mom canning when I was a kid.  It seemed like a huge process.

My Mr. and I went to a great fresh produce stand bought a huge bunch of tomatoes which were perfectly ripe, jalepeños, huge onions and cilantro. I decided I would make salsa and can it.  It really was a lot of work, but in the long run, it will save time and clean-up and money.


I started by making two batches of my favorite salsa recipe.  I have posted the recipe before and you can find it here:
Salsa Recipe

I roasted the vegetables on the grill this time.  It added nice smokiness.  This is the first time I have done it this way.  Give it a try!





You will notice that there are warnings on Jeff's Salsa.  This is because this batch has 8 or 9 habenaros and 10 jalepenos!  Yikes.  To be honest though, even the mild is very spicy.  You really have to taste the peppers before you use them to determine how many to put in.  Depending on the time of year, they seem to be hotter or more mild.

So, I found out that canning was much easier than I remember. Just boil the jars, fill them with the hot salsa, clean the mouth of the jar, top it with the lids and boil the jars for the amount of time indicated on the jar box. As a matter of fact, I just followed the directions on the back of the jar box.

No comments:




Blog Widget by LinkWithin